Hi dear followers,
I'm sitting all cozied up inside on this Friday night after my mini-yoga retreat was cancelled (freezing rain has stalled play on that!) with a lovely glass of South African red and thought it was time I shared a bit about myself with all of you. So in no particular order, here are 10 things that you might not know about yours truly.
Why not comment some little known facts about yourself?
1. I was born in Riverview, New Brunswick on the East Coast of Canada (as of writing the population still hasn't surpassed 20,000).
2. I'm the third of four kids and share the "middle child" moniker with my older sister (although I have classic middle child syndrome).
3. We moved around A LOT growing up - Before graduating high school (twice since I graduated in Quebec where they finish in grade 11 and then again in Ontario where they complete in grade 12), I had lived in nine different houses, four different provinces and five cities.
4. I had never flown on an airplane until I was 18 - I went on my first Eurotrip and took a budget plane to Glasgow before backpacking around the continent.
5. I have three degrees - a B.A Honours in Criminology and Concentration in Law; a Montessori Primary Teaching Certificate; and a Post Graduate Diploma in English Literature.
6. I grew up sailing with my family, sometimes wedged like sardines all together on the lakes of Canada. Little did I know I'd end up in yachting for a career (who knew moaning about being dragged around boat shows by my dad would one day be my meal ticket?)
7. I lived in London UK twice - once for six months in 2008 and again in 2010 for seven years. London has been the longest I've ever remained in one city (even if I also lived in seven different flats during that time!)
8. I bought a rusted old commuter bike when I moved to London which created a love for cycling - I raced successfully in London for a couple of seasons, did a number of European amateur races, and cycled twice London to Paris - once solo in 16 hours riding time.
9. I've had a few stays in hospital - a) broken collarbone at birth b) bronchitis at 4 months c) I had to get stitches on my left ankle at two years old since I cut my foot on an unassembled dishwasher d) I broke my wrist in grade three e) spent time in a Parisian hospital after being hit by a car during a race (proud to say I still finished...even if my knee still gives me issues!) f) I got badly bruised after a car hit me on my bike in London g) a few stays in London for anxiety related heart issues
10. I (like so many others) struggled with an eating disorder throughout my teens and twenties. I've worked with young girls struggling and think we need to break the stigma around mental health and body issues.